Wednesday, December 30, 2009

More baking, or Willpower vs. Chocolate, Round II

Last night's chicken was GOOD. I tried "velveting" it for the first time, and man, did it ever change the texture -- much, much more like it is when it comes from a Chinese place. In a good way, that is. Next time, though, I'd try to add some flavour to the marinade. Not sure how it would affect it, if at all, but it's worth a try, because though the texture was good, it was lacking in flavour.

For reference, one egg white, a tablespoon each of cornstarch, rice vinegar, and a little less than that of salt. Put in some pepper, too, just because I couldn't NOT add some sort of seasoning to it. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour-ish, then poached in simmering water for a couple minutes until not quite done through.

Stirred it in to the veggies & sauce right at the end, heated through, and it was perfectly cooked. Sauce was good, but I would have liked the orange flavour to come out a little more.

Tonight: potato and veggie chowder, because I must use this milk before it goes. MUST NOT WASTE!
I was surprised at how much difficulty I had coming up with something for dinner to use the milk that wouldn't have a kazillion calories. I mean, I could just make some enormous Bechamel-slathered fat-boat, but given the bowl-licking I've been doing all day (literal bowls, like, mixing bowls... not, uh, the way it sounded) I do not need a single extra calorie.

Oops, off to go get that rolling, then.

I made the CUTEST little chocolate pecan mini tarts with my leftover pate sucree today, too. I didn't try one, but the scraps sure were nice.
Leftover tart filling. What do to but add flour and baking powder and call them cookies?
Well, in reality, they weren't really cookies. Or anything. They were cakey and dry and that made me sad, SOOOO...

Kahlua rum balls! With ganache made from (wait for it) those Bailey's chocolates. Which were on sale for debatably less than a similar amount of chocolate chips. Uh, no contest.

Okay, soup now.

No comments:

Post a Comment